On July 7th in Secaucus, Police responded to 575 Park Plaza Drive at around 9:06 a.m. on report of criminal sexual conduct. Woon S. Hwang, 68 of Carlstadt, was charged with criminal sexual conduct after allegedly pretended to trip and subsequently grabbed a woman’s buttocks while inside the Hyatt. He later touched the victim inappropriately a second time. Hwang was allegedly making a trip to the hotel to pick up laundry. He was arrested and later released after posting his bail of $1,000 with a 10% option.
On July 8th in Hoboken, Police were dispatched to Pier A. Park at around 7:15 p.m. on complaint of a man reportedly yelling at people and wanting to stab himself, officials said. Officer Chris Hatfield responded to the park and immediately identified the man as 51-year-old Renato Smolic, a Jefferson Street resident known to Police from past encounters. He was transported to the hospital for an evaluation and issued a complaint summons for disorderly conduct while he was being treated at the Hoboken University Medical Center. Earlier in the day, Police also received calls of Smolic yelling at people in the street in the area of 203 Madison Street.
On Jul 9th in Secaucus, Police arrested 80-year-old Leonard J. Destafano for driving while intoxicated in the area of 806 Cedar Ave at around 10:20 p.m. Destafano was allegedly laying on the ground and his vehicle was parked on the sidewalk when Police arrived. He was charged with DWI, reckless driving, and improper parking. He did not suffer any injuries.
On July 9th in Bayonne, two men were arrested after an investigation revealed that they purposely set their residence on fire on June 3rd, officials said. Vain Manis, 63 of 152 West 21st Street and Ross Bonn, 64 of 152 West 21st Street were both charged with Aggravated Arson for purposely setting fire to their residence.
On July 11th in Bayonne, a 36-year-old man from Bayonne was struck by a vehicle while crossing 19th Street, the Bayonne Police Department confirmed. According to reports, the striking vehicle fled the scene east on 19th Street. Police are currently searching for the vehicle described as a 4-door white BMW. The victim was transported to Bayonne Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries.
On July 11th in Secaucus, Police arrested 33-year-old Miguel Acevedo of Jersey City for hindering by allegedly providing false information to Police. His vehicle was stopped by officials at around 7:15 p.m. in the area of 205 Secaucus Road for obstructed view. Acevedo had two failure to appear warrants out of Jersey City for $100. He was issued motor vehicle summonses for obstructed view, driving without license, and uninsured. He was remanded to the Hudson County Jail.
On July 11th in Bayonne, a 41-year-old man from Garfield was believed to have been struck by a vehicle that fled the area, according to reports. The victim was the driver of a delivery truck who had exited his vehicle in attempt to retrieve an item that had fallen off his delivery truck. The passenger of the truck, a 28-year-old man from Jersey City, reported that when the driver did not return to the truck he stepped out to look for him and found him on the ground, apparently injured. The initial call to the Police Department was made by a passing motorist who stopped to render aid to the victim. The victim was transported to Jersey City Medical Center for head injuries. The condition was listed as extremely critical and the accident is still under investigation.
On July 12th in Harrison, during the Peruvian Festival in the municipal parking lot under Route 280, Police were dispatched to investigate a man possibly selling marijuana. Event Security contacted the Police and advised them that a man was in possession of suspected CDS, marijuana and other “instruments” used along with this drug, the report says. Police arrested 22-year-old Heber Peguero of Central Avenue on charges of possession of CDS and CDS paraphernalia. Police recovered a small jar of suspected marijuana, a small black scale, and a zip-lock bag of small cellophane baggies. His bail was set at $1,500.
Between July 2, 2015 and July 13, 2015, the following incidents were reported to have occurred in Jersey City but we did not yet receive confirmation or details from the Public Information Officer or any official.
- On July 2nd, at around 5:22 a.m. Police activity was reported in the area of 555 Duncan Avenue. JCPD was allegedly requested to assist the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office for an unknown reason.
- On July 2nd, at around 6:56 a.m. Police activity was reported in the area of 478 Bergen Avenue for a possible recovered handgun.
- On July 3rd, at around 9:41 p.m. a Police pursuit allegedly occurred in the area of Bergen Avenue and Bramhall Avenue.
- On July 4th, at around 1:33 a.m. a child allegedly went into cardiac arrest on Shore Lane.
- On July 5th, at around 6:30 a.m. a shooting allegedly occurred near 315 Forrest Street. A grey vehicle was allegedly involved and fled the scene. The victim was allegedly a 17-year-old boy and was transported to Jersey City Medical Center for a gun shot wound above his right knee. Significant blood loss was reported.
- On July 7th, at around 9:52 a.m. a street robbery allegedly occurred near Hudson and Morris.
- On July 7th, at around 10:16 a.m. a man was allegedly in custody for breaking vehicle windows in the City Hall Parking Lot located on Grove Street.
- On July 7th, at around 1:23 p.m. a patient was allegedly transported to Newark Hospital via Medevac from Liberty Island for unknown reasons.
- On July 7th, at around 5:30 p.m. Police were allegedly in foot pursuit of a man near 101 Myrtle Avenue who allegedly tossed evidence relating to an unknown crime.
- On July 10th, at around 8:47 p.m., a gun crime, specifically a man with a gun, was allegedly reported to have been on Woodward Street.
- On July 10th, at around 9:27 p.m. Emergency Service Units were allegedly requested to West Side Avenue and Broadway for unknown reasons.
- On July 10th, at around 11:07 p.m. a pedestrian was allegedly struck in the area of NJ 440 and Communipaw Avenue.
- On July 11th, at around 12:27 a.m. shots were allegedly fired into a house located at 168 Wilkinson Avenue. No injuries were reported.
- On July 11th, at around 10:00 a.m. Police allegedly had a combative suspect in custody near Clifton Place for unknown reasons.
- On July 11th, at around 10:50 a.m. a motor vehicle accident allegedly occurred on 1&9 near Ship Avenue. Injuries were reported.
- On July 11th, at around 11:26 p.m. a burglary allegedly occurred at 692 Summit Avenue.
- On July 12th, at around 1:10 a.m., shots were allegedly fired on Van Wagenen Avenue. Eleven spent shell casings were allegedly found by Police.
- On July 12th, at around 2:14 a.m. a motorcycle accident with injuries allegedly occurred on NJ 440 and Communipaw Avenue.
- On July 12th, at around 2:25 a.m. a large fight allegedly occurred near 257 Lexington Avenue.
- On July 12th, at around 3:29 a.m. a multiple shooting allegedly occurred near West Side Avenue and Sip Avenue. There was allegedly four total victims located at three different locations. All allegedly suffered gun shot wounds to their legs.
- On July 12th, at around 5:24 p.m. an apparatus accident allegedly occurred near Bergen Avenue and Virginia Avenue.
- On July 13th, at around 12:56 a.m. Emergency Service Units were allegedly dispatched to 425 Washington Boulevard on report of an uncooperative person.
- On July 13th, at around 6:12 a.m. Police activity was reported near 895 Bergen Avenue. Police were allegedly having difficulty with an emotionally disturbed person. Port authority Police was allegedly dispatched.
No further information is available at this time. Check back later for individual stories pertaining to the above alleged events.